Finally got my domain name (ilestis.ch) up and running. Was more chaotic than originally planned.
When setting up the blog, I wanted to use my existing hosting of ehelvetia.ch to host my blog on a subdomain: ilestis.ehelvetia.ch. Creating the subdomain and installing wordpress wasn’t hard (subdomain was done in three clicks on the Plesk admin page), while installing WP was child’s play. Complications came next.
I bought Ilestis.ch at Gandi.net (you can check the WHOIS), and first attempted a redirection to ilestis.ehelvetia.ch. This worked, but changed the URL to the subdomain, a 301 htaccess redirect in other words. I later tried to edit the dns zone, pointing a www CNAME to the subdomain. This somewhat worked, but removing the www let to the @ A record, pointing on the site, which wasn’t a solution.
Later, I decided to point the DNS records of ilestis.ch directly to EasyGiga’s hosting, and created a domain alias, which when DNS replication was done, pointed to the main ehelvetia site.
Not ready to abandon my idea, I finally contacted support to see if there was any way to edit a virtualserver in apache’s config files. Turns out, I had the free option to manage up to 3 domains (once activated with the new offers, I still had last years default config), so creating a complete separate domain was a piece of cake.
To save some time, I used the same DB. Just had to edit the options table to change whatever pointed to the old subdomain to the new domain.
Sometimes, I just try to complicate everything so much